Sunday, March 11, 2012

Fumbling Plays for the Heart

I am not a particularly happy person. But I am a fan of Wes Anderson. And watching The Shins latest music video for "Simple Song" got me thinking.


For those of you who haven't seen The Royal Tennenbaums, Life Aquatic, or Rushmore, Wes Anderson is a director of melancholy, eccentric, and nostalgic films that don't tend to feature happy characters, but generally have relatively uplifting endings. Like The Shins video above.

They're inspiring, in a rather odd way. And I watch this video a couple of times and think "Where is my whimsy? Where is my sense of fun?" I've been sitting alone in my apartment for most of the weekend doing nothing but watch time pass without anything to show for it. Man, fuck that noise. Now that I've got the basics down (work and identity), I want to start enjoying my life. I want to grasp the now before it all turns into pseudo-nostalgia of a time and place that never existed in the first place. I want something now so I don't have to have the revitalization thirty years later.

I just have to figure out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment